Thursday, March 21, 2013

Squimming Pools.

When I was young, I used to go swimming in our little alligator swimming pool in the back yard. Do you remember those alligator swimming pools? They were green hard plastic and had a super tiny like two-foot slide into the water. I was a child of the 1980s (Generra Hypercolor, what what), so maybe you young whippersnappers don't remember alligator swimming pools, but trust me, they were kickass.



Well. During those hot summers, I'd play in our alligator pool, but then, we'd let the water sit and stagnate. It would sit for the entire summer. But I'd still put on my Strawberry Shortcake swimsuit or my fantastic neon suit with the squiggles all over it, and I'd go outside during the dog days and bob about in it.

Most of the time there were mosquito larvae squimming in the water.

I'd still play in it.


I'd swim, me and those larvae. I'd swim.

Which might be the reason today that I nuke our hot tub with fire and put 18 cups of chlorine in our kiddie pool, burning the eyes and flesh of my children.

3 comments:

  1. At least you got a larvae-infected swimming pool.... my parents didn't want to invest in one because "it would kill the grass". Or a slip n slide for that matter. so I'd just split open a trash bag longways & turn the garden hose on it. And I think I remember taking a small foot soak washtub outside & filling it with water so that I could at least dip my feet in it while sitting in a lawnchair.

    (Oh, and then they ended up getting a HUGE pool about 6 years ago, once I was out of the house. How's that grass now, folks? Grrr...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, at least we had a squimming pool, although it was a health hazard. :) And we totes had a slip n slide! I LOVED that shit. Too bad I didn't know at the time that soap bubbles made it even AWESOMER. But we had a blast. Even killing the grass.

      Sidenote: When we had our greyhound Amy, we used to give her baths outside and wash her with shampoo. Now THATTT killed the grass. :)

      Delete
  2. Those alligator pools were so great. I got in trouble when I was seven for swimming in the cow cistern. Ick!

    ReplyDelete